Form 2290 (Highway Use Tax)
“Highway use tax” and “Heavy vehicle use tax” can be used interchangeably. This tax represents the required annual fee that you must pay if you operate vehicles with a registered gross weight equal or exceeding 55,000 pounds on public highways. In order to determine the taxable gross weight of your vehicle, add:
- The weight of your unloaded and fully equipped for service vehicle.
- The weight of an unloaded trailer or semitrailer that is fully equipped for service. This must be added to your vehicle transporting the trailer as well as the maximum load weight carried on the vehicle trailer.
Highway Use Tax Rates
If your vehicle’s gross taxable weight is below 55,000 pounds, then it is not subject to highway use tax. A tax rate of $100 plus an additional $22 per 1000 pounds are added to vehicles with a gross taxable weight between 55,000 to 75,000 pounds. If the vehicle’s gross taxable weight is 75,000 pounds or higher then a maximum rate of $550 must be paid. Form 2290 is what you would use in order to figure and pay the tax due on highway motor vehicles used during the period with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more.
Highway Use Tax Exemptions
You can claim the exempt status of your vehicle if it is:
- Not considered a highway motor vehicle – for example: Mobile machinery or vehicles for Off-highway use
- A commercial vehicle with yearly travel miles equaling less than 5000
- An agriculture vehicle with yearly travel miles equaling less than 7,500
- A qualified blood collector vehicle
Let DOT Operating Authority team help you!
Our agents will be happy to assist you with your Highway Use Tax, whether you want to file it or claim the exempt status. We understand your busy schedule and how important it is to keep all the paperwork in order. Our team will happily assist you in getting the authority to operate. We will help you with all filings, forms, and taxes associated with the transportation industry.
Give us a call today at (888) 669-4383 and let us know how we can be of help!
For more information or to file now, visit our sister site, 2290OnlineForm.com!