New York Fuel Tax
Qualified motor vehicles operating in more than one IFTA jurisdiction must have an IFTA license and decals to operate on New York State public highways.
Qualified motor vehicle means a motor vehicle, other than a recreational vehicle, that is used, designed, or maintained for the transportation of persons or property and that complies with any of the following criteria:
- A power unit with two axles and a gross vehicle weight (or registered gross weight) exceeding 26,000 pounds (11,797 kilograms),
- With three or more axles, regardless of weight,
- When the unit and trailing unit are used in combination, and the gross vehicle weight of the combination is more than 26,000 pounds.
IFTA License and Decals in New York
Apply to your base jurisdiction for an IFTA license and decals for each qualified motor vehicle that you operate in more than one IFTA member jurisdiction.
New York State is your base jurisdiction for the IFTA licensing of your fleet if you meet all these conditions:
- register your qualified motor vehicles in New York State;
- maintain the operational control and records for those qualified motor vehicles in New York State or can make those records available in the State;
- some of the qualified motor vehicles in your fleet travel within New York State.
Highway Use Tax
New York State imposes a highway use tax (HUT) on motor carriers operating certain motor vehicles on New York State public highways (excluding toll-paid portions of the New York State Thruway). The tax rate depends on the weight of the motor vehicle and the method that you choose to report the tax.
DOT Operating authority will help you get your New York IFTA License easy and fast. You must file the IFTA quarterly fuel use tax return for the following periods:
|Reporting Quarter||Due Date|
|January through March||April 30|
|April through June||July 31|
|July through September||October 31|
|October through December||January 31|
NOTE: You must renew your license and pay your decal fees by December 31.
Pay Tax Bills to Avoid Enforcement Actions
If you have an unpaid tax bill, you should pay it in full immediately. By doing so, you can avoid accruing more penalties, interest, and the start of civil enforcement actions that include tax warrants, levies, income executions, and seizure and sale of assets.
How to Get IFTA License in New York?
DOT Operating Authority handles any kind of paperwork concerning IFTA Licenses for New York, New Mexico, Oregon, and Kentucky. We construct each document carefully and attentively. By using our services, you will receive your needed permit, license, and application easy and fast. DOT Operating Authority is always ready to assist you with the best filings.
DOT Operating Authority offers services that are accurate and effective. We do our best to provide you with high-quality paperwork filing and documentation. Give us a call today!