facebook twitter Pintrest Youtube Bing
(Valid for 10 days only)

It is a requirement in the state of Oregon that trucking companies and owner-operators obtain Oregon Truck Permits even if motor carriers have an IFTA license. To get started on filing for Oregon Truck Permits, click here.

The following are Oregon truck permits:

Heavy Motor Vehicle Trip Permit

Trip permits must be obtained PRIOR to operation. Motor carriers need this permit if:

  • The vehicle’s gross weight is over 26,000 pounds and\or has 3 axles.
  • The vehicle(s) does not have registration (expired or no plates).
  • Oregon does not appear on the registration cab card.

    Note:  The registration or Cab Card must be obtained by the truck driver for information.

Heavy Trailer Trip Permit

Trailers that are not registered already, are required to obtain a permit.

Temporary Pass

This permit is issued to motor carriers when:

  • Validate payment of the weight-mile tax is received upfront.
  • The combined gross weight of a truck, trailer, and load exceed 26,000 pounds.

    Note:  Temporary Passes for an account has a maximum number of five or more for one unit or 35 in a rolling 12 month period.

Temporary Registration Weight Increase

These will temporarily increase the Commercial or Apportioned registration weight of a vehicle for a period of 10 days. The following credentials will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

  • Declare tax paid at a higher weight for the vehicle.
  • Obtain an oversize or overweight permit when operating over 80,000 pounds and/or legal load dimensions.
  • Get a special permit such as Road Use Assessment Fees by way of a Single Trip Permit.

Temporary Enrollment Document

  • Issue by MCTD or by way of Oregon Trucking Online when the vehicle is subject to weight-mile tax and currently has no base plate on the vehicle.
  • When the base plate is received and mounted, this temporary enrollment document must be canceled and the vehicle must be enrolled in Oregon’s Weight-Mile Tax Program with the current plate number.

Hazardous Materials
Information regarding a permit for transporting Hazardous materials is available on the Oregon State Truck Safety web page.

Required Information to Obtain Oregon Truck Permits

  • USDOT number (If you don’t have one, apply with us now)
  • Date(s) of travel
  • Driver(s) full legal name(s)
  • Route Travel or the number of miles to purchase.
  • Commodities.
  • Vehicle Information
  • Power unit base plate.
  • Jurisdiction.
  • Type.
  • Year.
  • Make.
  • 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number
  • Unit number.
  • Odometer.
  • Truck own or lease information.
  • Registered weight.
  • Operating weight — The heaviest weight at which the vehicle will operate during the 10-day permit.
  • Registration Cab Card — Apportioned Registration.
  • Registration — Temporary or Registration Trip Permit.
  • Method of payment — credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).
  • Fax number or email address to send the registration and/or permit.


  • Temporary Passes are set up for short-term use only.
  • Motor carriers are responsible for all tax enrollment under their account, including vehicles under lease or rent.
  • When a carrier will not be operating in Oregon, it is advisable to cancel tax enrollment.

Get Oregon Truck Permits now by visiting our sister site OregonTruckPermit.com!

We want to make sure that your truck stays on the road legally and avoids all costly fines. DOT Operating Authority will take care of everything! One of our agents will be ready to accept your information! Give us a call today at (503) 755-1398.
Close Menu