facebook twitter Google Plus Pintrest
File BOC-3 Online

DOT Hazardous Materials Safety Permit

DOT Hazmat Safety PermitIn addition to the USDOT Number, you are required to obtain a Hazmat Safety Permit. If you are an intrastate, interstate, or foreign motor carrier transporting certain types and amounts of hazardous materials, you need a safety permit. The mission of the safety permit is to improve truck and bus safety on the highways. It includes reducing the number of transportation incidents that involve hazardous materials that could potentially harm the public and the environment. Getting the HMSP is easy when DOT Operating Authority does your filings. Your paperwork will seem easier, as our process agents will do everything for you.

What is Hazardous Material?

A hazardous material is a substance or material that the Secretary of Transportation has determined can pose an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce, and has designated as hazardous. According to, Sec. 5103 of Federal hazardous materials transportation law (49 U.S.C. 5103).

What is a Hazmat Safety Permit and Who Needs it?

Safety permit means a document issued by FMCSA that contains a permit number and confers authority to transport in commerce the hazardous materials listed below.

You are not allowed to transport in interstate or intrastate commerce any of the following hazardous materials unless you hold a safety permit:

  • A highway route-controlled quantity of Class 7 (radioactive) material;
  • More than 25 kg (55 pounds) net weight of explosive materials or articles or an amount of Division 1.5 (explosive) material requiring placarding
  • More than one liter (1.08 quarts) per package of a “material poisonous by inhalation,” that meets the criteria for “hazard zone A”;
  • A “material poisonous by inhalation,” in a “bulk packaging,” that meets the criteria for “hazard zone B,”
  • A “material poisonous by inhalation,” as defined in §171.8 of this title, that meets the criteria for “hazard zone C,” or “hazard zone D,” in a packaging having a capacity equal to or greater than 13,248 L (3,500) gallons;
  • A shipment of methane (compressed or refrigerated liquid), natural gas (compressed or refrigerated liquid), or any other compressed or refrigerated liquefied gas with a methane content of at least 85 percent, in bulk packaging having a capacity equal to or greater than 13,248 L (3,500 gallons).

Violation Fees for Hazmat

The maximum civil penalty for a knowing violation of the hazardous materials transportation law, or a regulation, order, special permit, or approval issued under that law, range from $55,000 to $75,000. Increased maximum civil penalty ranges between $110,000 and $175,000 if the violation results in death, serious illness or severe injury to any person or substantial destruction of property.

How to Get a Hazardous Materials Safety Permit?

There are two options for filing the necessary forms to obtain a Hazardous Material Safety Permit:

  • Calling DOT Operating Authority, and let our process agents do all the paperwork, or
  • Submitting our online forms: MCS-150 or MCS-150B.

Motor carriers will be required to apply for an HMSP the next time they are scheduled to file the MCS-150. All motor carriers, including interstate, intrastate and foreign carriers must comply with this regulation.

For more information, feel free to call and speak to one of our representatives at DOT Operating Authority.