facebook twitter Pintrest Youtube Google Bing
Leave a Message →
Our agents are not available right now. Please leave a message and we'll get back to you.






    I need:
    scroll for more

    What is Hazmat Registration?

    Offerors and transporters of certain quantities and types of hazardous materials, including hazardous wastes, are required to file an annual registration statement with the U.S. Department of Transportation and to pay a fee (see Title 49 CFR Part 107, Subpart G (107.601 – 107.620). The fee provides funds for grants distributed to States and Native American tribes for hazardous materials emergency response planning and training and to certain professional organizations for training purposes. This program began in 1992 and is administered by the Associate Administrator for Hazardous Materials Safety, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).

    What are Hazardous Materials?

    According to Sec. 5103 of the Federal hazardous materials transportation law (49 U.S.C. 5103), a hazardous material is a substance or material that the Secretary of Transportation has determined can pose an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce, and has designated as hazardous.

    Who Must Register?

    If you offer for transportation or transport in commerce a shipment containing any of the following categories of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes), you must register:

    • A highway route-controlled quantity of Class 7 (radioactive) material, including enriched uranium, radioactive ores, isotopes, and some medical equipment or parts. It may be shipped by highway, rail, air, or water;
    • More than 25 kilograms (55 pounds) of Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) material in a motor vehicle, rail car, or freight container requiring placarding;
    • More than one liter (1.06 quarts) per package of a “material extremely toxic by inhalation” that meets the criteria for “hazard zone A” (for gases or for liquids);
    • A “material poisonous by inhalation,” in a “bulk packaging,” that meets the criteria for “hazard zone B,”
    • A “material poisonous by inhalation,” as defined in §171.8 of this title, that meets the criteria for “hazard zone C,” or “hazard zone D,” in a packaging having a capacity equal to or greater than 13,248 L (3,500) gallons;
    • A shipment of methane (compressed or refrigerated liquid), natural gas (compressed or refrigerated liquid), or any other compressed or refrigerated liquefied gas with a methane content of at least 85 percent, in bulk packaging having a capacity equal to or greater than 13,248 L (3,500 gallons).
    • A hazardous material (including hazardous wastes) in a bulk packaging having a capacity greater than 13,248 liters (3,500 gallons) for liquids or gases or more than 13.24 cubic meters (468 cubic feet) for solids. Please note that people who offer or transport hazardous materials that do not require placarding in bulk packaging with a capacity greater than 3,500 gallons or 468 cubic feet, must register.
    • A shipment in other than a bulk packaging of 2,268 kilograms (5,000 pounds) gross weight or more of one class of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes) for which placarding of a vehicle, rail car, or freight container is required for that class.
    • A quantity of hazardous material that requires placarding. The offering and transporting of hazardous materials by farmers in direct support of their farming operations are excepted from this category of activities requiring registration.

    Hazardous Materials Registration Certificates

    Hazardous Materials Certification of Registration is issued after each application is completed. The certification established the registration number, year (or multi-year) period. It also includes the date of issuance or re-issuance and when the certificate expires. Registration will be covered from July 1st of the registered year to June 30th of the next year. The beginning six characters of the registration number (RN) establish the date of the application process (mm/dd/yyyy)

    Record-Keeping Requirements

    The registration statement will come with a copy and it must be kept for three years at your place of business. It must also be available for inspection. Carriers and vehicle operators must also have the most recent copy on board with them. They can have another document bearing the current year’s registration number as long as it includes the “U.S. DOT hazmat Registration Number.” Truck, truck vessel, and truck tractor for hazardous materials must meet the registration guidelines and must have a copy of the registration on board.

    If You Fail to Register

    Federal law dictates the requirement to register with DOT. This requirement is enforced by federal, state, and local agencies. Any of these agencies may enact penalties for inadequately registering or failing to meet the requirements.

    DOT Operating Authority Will Help!

    At DOT Operating Authority, we will help you get Hazardous Materials Registration Certificate. Not only that, but we also provide our customers with services like obtaining operating authorities and permits you need.

    For more information, feel free to call and speak to one of our representatives at DOT Operating Authority.
    Close Menu