What is a USDOT Number?
A USDOT number is a unique identification number for your company, if it involves commercial vehicles or transportation. In fact, it is required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Essentially, the USDOT number allows for instant access to your company’s safety information during various checkups, including inspections, audits, accident investigations, compliance reviews, etc.
So, if your company uses commercial vehicles to either transport passengers or move cargo, you need this number displayed on every vehicle!
Does my company need a DOT number?
Well, DOT numbers are required in specific states for certain business types. You need a DOT number if you have a commercial vehicle that:
- is designed to carry 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation
- is used to carry more than 15 passengers (including the driver), but not for compensation
- has a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or higher
- is used for the transportation of materials classified as hazardous and/or requires a safety permit, according to the Secretary of Transportation
Also, the area where your vehicle transports goods or passengers determines whether you need a DOT number. You need a DOT number if your commercial vehicle is used for trade or transport:
- between two places located in one state, but through another state (or through a location outside of the US)
- between two places located within one state as part of a trade, traffic, or transportation with the original location or destination located outside of the US
- between a state and another state, or a state and a location outside of the US
Get a DOT Number with DOT Operating Authority
First, you will have to file your company as a corporation, creating a business entity. Then, you’ll be able to start the application process for a DOT number. Generally, it takes a few weeks for your number to activate. We understand how time consuming and overwhelming it can be to complete all the requirements for your commercial auto business. That’s why our team at DOT Operating Authority works tirelessly to help make the process easier for you. We can walk you through the process of obtaining your DOT number easily and stress-free!
Some states also require their intrastate commercial motor carriers to obtain a USDOT Number. These states include:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Puerto Rico
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
If you are an intrastate motor carrier, check with your responsible state agency. Furthermore, it is your responsibility as a motor carrier operator (or driver) to obtain a USDOT Number and comply with all the FMCSA regulations. Safety compliance and safe operations translate into saved lives and protected property. We can help.
Contact us today! DOT Operating Authority agents are eager to answer any of your questions or concerns.
Check out the video below for more information on the USDOT Number.